Thursday, September 27, 2012

Saying goodbye to Mika



Seven years ago my husband and I adopted a beautiful 8 year old Shepherd/Collie mix.
Her name was Mika.  I knew I would be changing her life, but I had no idea how much she would change mine.
 
This is a tribute to Mika.
 
 
 
Two days after we adopted Mika, we took her on a camping trip. Imagine being in a cage one day and then two days later out in nature with a new family. She was so happy.
 
 
 
 
 

Life went on getting to know her and love her more and more.  She always wanted to be everywhere I was. At first I found that a little overwhelming but once I got used to it, it was very comforting and made me feel pretty special.
 
Because of Mika, we started walking and hiking more. We learned to appreciate nature. I started every day walking with her. I wouldn't trade those times for anything.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
More vacations followed....everywhere we went everyone was always wanted to see and pet her. Mika visited some very beautiful places and was always a joy to have around.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When Mika was 12 years old we thought it was time to get her a buddy. We adopted an 8 year old Belgian Shepherd mix named Bear. We couldn't have chosen a better brother.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bear also proved to be quite a good travel companion. Now you can imagine how much attention we got with these two amazing dogs!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


When Mika turned 14 years old she really started slowing down. She didn't go on as many walks and she started keeping to herself. Things that used to be easy where now a struggle. She appeared to be near the end. It was hard watching her age but she always remained sweet as ever.
 
We decided to adopt a puppy at that time, thinking she could learn from the two seniors before Mika passed. We adopted a 6 month old Husky/Samoyed mix and named her Judique.

It turned out to be quite a challenge to manage three dogs but I'm so glad I took that challenge. After several months we had a great pack.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Almost a whole year after we adotped the puppy, it was time to say goodbye to our beloved Mika. Her health issues were getting worse, she struggled to get up and walk and she barely ate.
 
We decided to have our vet come to our house so she would be in a familiar place surrounded by her whole pack. She passed peacefully in my arms.
 
Such a sweet and beautiful girl. So many wonderful memories.
 
 
***********************************************************

We will never forget you and will always love you Mika.
You will be forever in our hearts and with us always in spirit.
 
**********************************************************
 
 
 
 
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened". Ted Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
 

 
 



1 comment:

  1. beautiful tribute to Mika. I can't imagine how hard it will be when my little guy passes. I have freakin' tears rolling down my face now just reading this.

    ReplyDelete