Friday, September 16, 2016

Do you brush your dog’s teeth?

Oral health is just as important for our dogs as it is for us. Did you know that dental disease can lead to problems with your dog’s organs? And in most cases, by the time you find out its too late; the damage has been done.

We brush our own teeth on average 2 to 3 times a day. And yet many people have dogs for years and never brush their teeth. How could a dog possibly have fresh breath!

I admit I have been guilty as the rest, but have recently turned over a new leaf and have been brushing both my dog’s teeth every day for the past several months.

While you may not be able to avoid an extensive teeth cleaning at your vet’s office all together throughout your dog’s life, you can certainly prolong the need for it. And you will be contributing to your dog’s overall health.

So how did I do it?

Here are some tips to help you to make brushing your dog’s teeth an enjoyable habit.
  1. Pick a time of day that you consistently have time.

    After dinner was the perfect time as I always make a tea and relax a little. So I started putting my brushing kit in the same place as I keep my tea to remind myself. Turns out that not only did I start remembering on my own, my dogs got used to the routine and started waiting for me after dinner.

  2. Pick the right toothbrush for you and your dog.

    Not all dog toothbrushes are created equally. Try different kinds to see what feels the best and allows you to brush your dog’s teeth for the longest time. There are some really cool and fancy looking ones but they felt quite awkward to me and kept slipping through my dog’s teeth. I found that a simple brush works best for us. You can also get a finger brush if you prefer.

  3. Make sure your dog likes the flavor of the toothpaste you choose.

    This is very important. If your dog doesn’t like the taste of the toothpaste, he will not be waiting every day for you to brush his teeth. My dogs both love the peanut butter and vanilla ginger flavors. And there are many more to choose from. You will pretty much know the second your dog licks it if he likes it or not. If not, move on. You want your dog on board with this. Never ever use human toothpaste!

  4. Make it fun for you and your dog.

    Okay it’s not going to be as fun as going to the dog park, but a little enthusiasm goes a long way. Get a little goofy and let your dog think this is a great thing to do!
I go over my dog’s teeth twice and then end things with a dab of toothpaste for them just to lick and enjoy. It’s good for them and ends things on a positive note!

Happy brushing!











2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Man! Very Useful Tips Check this for more https://www.todaytiptricks.com/2020/04/15-impressive-tricks-to-teach-your-dog.html

    ReplyDelete