Monday, September 12, 2011

Fundraiser for local shelter

I recently had the absolute pleasure of participating in the "Wiggle Waggle Walkathon" fundraiser for my local shelter. This was my first time there but it certainly won't be my last! What an amazing experience this was.

The event site had tents set up with all kinds of activities from agility for the dogs to face painting for the kids. A local radio station was also involved before getting the crowd going and after with dogs and owners competing for different prizes. All in all there was something for everyone.

The walk itself was very well organized with a 2 km and a 5 km walk clearly marked and a couple of water stations along the way for the dogs and people. The stations also had kiddie pools filled with water for the pooches to cool off. 
 

There were different incentives for raising certain amounts of money. The amount I raised did boast me a few prizes but for me the real prize was knowing I was able to help the animals in my community. From the minute my dog Bear and I left the car and headed over to the site people and dogs were everywhere and it made me feel very emotional. I was excited, proud to be a part of it, proud of my dog and in awe of how many people were there to participate. And of course for dog lovers it's heaven to be around so many dogs. There were all different ages, sizes and breeds. It was truly special and the memory of this event will stay with me for a long time.

Shelters rely on volunteers, donations and people like you and I to adopt and give loving homes to these wonderful animals. They work tirelessly and devote their lives to helping animals and making their lives better.
 
So if you've been thinking of participating in an event like this for your local shelter, I highly recommend you do it.

You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment