Monday, February 24, 2020

Guest Article - THE TRAVELS AND ADVENTURES OF AN ‘UNDERCOVER DOPE DOG’…Written in my own voice


MOTORCYCLE OFFICER SHREK LENT ME
THIS UNIFORM FOR MY FIRST RIDE ALONG
Now that I am a retired police dog, I thought it would be fun to share some of my experiences I had during my career as an “Undercover Narcotics Dog.”  People ask me how I got into that line of work and I tease that I went to the Police Academy.  Actually,  my Mommy was a professional Law Enforcement trainer for many years and I got pulled into ‘the business’ by accident. 


Mom was hired as a training consultant for a police department in South Florida and we would be living in a cool hotel for one month.  They had a “no doggy” policy, discrimination if you ask me, but the Police Chief spoke to the manager and explained my connection to Law Enforcement. 


The Police Chief agreed to let me come to the police station with Mom for one day as I was getting tired of staying in the hotel room watching CNN.  I had to promise to be a good boy and not have an accident on the rug in the training room.


As soon as we arrived and the officers saw me, they started making fun of me.  They called me “an almost dog” and “rag mop”.  I guess I got my feeling hurt as my rebellious side came out and I thought, “I’ll show them”, lifted my leg and was a bad boy. You would imagine that Mom was furious at me but the officers laughed and promised not to tell the Chief.  The rest of the day went fine. 


From then on, Mom introduced me to her police friends as an “UNDERCOVER DOPE DOG”.  
Little did I know what was  in store for me in my new assumed role.


WOOF WOOF


Sandra Glosser





No comments:

Post a Comment